Castle Background

Monday, December 19, 2011

Races Are Like Childbirth

 

 So, here is my deep thought for the day....

     Running a race is very similar to birthing a child.   

     The other day I was talking to a friend that was getting ready to run her first half marathon and as I was describing my experiences to her, I started thinking that it seems very similar to when you give birth to a child.  Here are my thoughts...

    When you first sign up for a race there is that initial dose of excitement with a twinge of nervousness of what to expect.  (very similar to seeing that positive sign on the stick!)  The next few months are filled with running and dietary research and race training (baby books, baby names, lamaze...), then comes costume coordination, because all serious runners wear race costumes. (much like planning your baby's take home outfit and decorating their plush nurseries that will never be used because they refuse to sleep in their beautifully coordinated cribs).

    Soon enough, the big day arrives!  The initial excitement of the day eventually becomes replaced with "What the crap was I thinking??", and "WHY did I think this was a good idea?"  (obviously, this is before the epidural)  But soon enough, you reach your runner's high (or...the epidural sets in) and you breeze across the finish line already planning your next race.  You cradle your medal much like a baby and are filled with an enormous sense of pride.  Recovery takes a few days (or weeks) but all in all, you will tell everyone that it was totally worth it and can't wait to do it again!

    Naturally, my sons are much more beloved to me than any race medal I could ever obtain.  However, unless you are a reality TV star, it's unlikely that you will get to experience childbirth as often as you can cross finish lines.  When I told my husband my simile about races and childbirth, he said, "Good, then the next time you say you want a baby, I will just tell you to sign up for another race!"  See you at the START line!






No comments:

Post a Comment